Chapter 4. The Fair at Great Mongeham - Evidence for a fair

Article Index
Chapter 4. The Fair at Great Mongeham
A charter is granted
The fair flourishes
Decline of the fair
Evidence for a fair
All Pages

Evidence for a Fair

altThus we learn of the history of the fair from charters, history books and newspapers, but none of them tell where the fair took place. This must come from more oblique sources. A map of 1840 identifies the field behind the Three Horseshoes as ‘Fairfield’. The name is reflected in the names of houses along St. Richards Road which were built on the edge of that field, namely Fairfield, Fairfield Cottages and Fairview Cottages. The map is adapted from part of that 1840 map. It also shows the five footpaths that give access to the field (one was diverted about twenty years ago). Dick’s Alley, which could once accommodate a horse and cart, is now reduced to a much overgrown, barely used footpath. The evidence from house names and footpaths provide fairly conclusive evidence for the site of the fair. At the height of the fair these paths would have seen much activity.alt Coins and many other items must have been dropped there over the centuries. A merchant’s token found in a garden which butts on to the field dating from the sixteenth century. What else might have been found in the surrounding gardens?

Bertram de Criol’s charter also allowed for a weekly market to be held every Thursday. There was a ‘Market Square’ in the village into the nineteenth century. This was possibly in Cherry lane.



Add comment


Security code
Refresh