GMS Notes No.60 July 2013

Oak Cottage

As seen from St. Richard’s Road.

Oak_cottage_from_St_Richards_Road

 

 

 

Oak Cottage is a sixteenth century farmhouse which was the original farmhouse for Sholden Bank Farm. To see it you must look through the gap between the houses on the corner and the block of flats.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Last Month’s Meeting

EKLR_speaker

Last month we were given the presentation on the East Kent Light Railway postponed from April. In the event it was well worth waiting for. as the talk, illustrated with a slide presentation of photos of old railway stations, old Ordnance Survey maps showing the routes of the lines and a model of Wingham station, (photo below) evoked a picture of a much neglected aspect of East Kent industrial history.

EKLR_modelVisit their website for more pictures and information. at :-

http://www.eastkentrailway.co.uk/

 

July Meeting

Old_St_Marys_WalmerOur next meeting, on Thursday, 18th July will start at the earlier time of 7.00pm for our visit to the ruins of Walmer manor House. Brian Wilding, the owner, has kindly offered to take us round. We will also have a look inside the Church Of The Blessed Mary. We will meet at the back of the Church, which is off Church Street, Walmer. Those who are uncertain how to get there or need a lift will meet in the car park of Great Mongeham Village Hall at 6.45 pm.

The print  is of the old church, taken from The Illustrated London News of September 25th 1852.

 


Add comment


Security code
Refresh