GMS News 102 May 2017

church_interior_recent

May Meeting

 

Our next meeting will be held in conjunction with the Friends of St. Martin’s at the church. GREAT_MONGEHAM_CHURH_1861 The doors of St. Martin’s Church will be opened at 7.00 on Thursday 18th May when a small collection of documents and photographs relating to the church and the old school will be on display.  At 7.30 a slide presentation will be given by Jim Rees on the history of the church andchurch.

 

Noakes_memorialOn the right is a photo of a memorial on the church wall to John Noakes and his wife, Elizabeth. It refers to the large vault  with railings on the south side of the church.

 

 

 

 

Photograph of the school not long after it was built

Early_photo_of_schoolpupils_with_certs_1912

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photograph showing pupils receiving medals and certificates for good attendance in 1912

Last Month's Meeting

KillemHugh_NortonAt our last meeting Hugh Norton, former resident of the village and member of the Great Mongeham Society, came to give us a talk in his capacity as guide at Canterbury Cathedral. His talk ranged from the arrival of Saint Augustine who built the first cathedral, through the building of the present cathedral by the Normans. to the murder of Thomas Becket and the story of the pilgrims to Thomas' shrine. He introduced us to "Why killem and cartem to Canterbury" as a means of remembering the pilgrims' route from Wye to Canterbury. Throughout he kept us entertained with his amusing anecdotes backed by an excellent animated slide presentation with sound effects..

Add comment


Security code
Refresh