GMS News 103 June 2017

St. Bartholomew's Hospital

St_Barts_SandwichThe photograph below shows the chapel of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, Sandwich, which was built to commemorate the English victory at the Battle of Sandwich on St. Bartholomew's Day, 1217.

 



The hospital, founded in 1190 for the accommodation of pilgrims was one of the afternoon visits of the Kent History Federation's annual conference.

 

KENT HISTORY FEDERATION ANNUAL CONFERENCE

                                                                       Sandwich 2017

3 members of the GMS attended this event which focussed on the naval battle of Sandwich of 1217 between English and French ships.

Richard Brooks gave a scholarly illustrated account of the battle Local knowledge of tides and sea conditions contributed to the English victory. Richard considered it the most significant naval victory until Trafalgar. As regent for the infant king, Henry III William Marshal released the second Magna Carta.

Dr Sophie Ambler considered the impact of the Battle of Sandwich and the possible consequences if it had been lost

The role of the Cinque Ports in providing men and ships for the battle was explored by Ian Russell.

There are records of four hospitals in Sandwich in Mediaeval times, the history of which was explored by Shiela Sweetinburgh. One, the hospital of St. Bartholomew, was the destination for our afternoon visit.

John Henderson concluded the morning's programme with a lightning narrative of the history of Sandwich.

Last Month’s Meeting

17th_century_chaliceIn spite of some of the worst weather we have experienced for weeks, the joint meeting of the Friends of St. Martins and the Great Mongeham Society was relatively well attended. There were some interesting photographs and documents on display. The star of the display were the two large books containing an inventory of all the fixtures and fittings of the church which had been compiled by the National Association of Design and Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS). The photograph shows a 17th century silver chalice which was on display.

registersHowever the most popular items were the several books of births, marriages and burials which dated from 1685 to the present day.

In his talk, Jim Rees put the history of the church into a wider historic context. He also outlined the history of the old school, the Village Hall and the Baptist Church. The first minute books of the village hall committee were also on display, as were photographs showing the conversion of the old village school to a private dwelling.

Jim_sets_upAfter the talk people were given another opportunity to look at the display and to have a look at some of the features mentioned in the talk.

The several positive comments received from those who attended suggest that the meeting was a success. Donations towards the Friends amounted to £69.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

June Meeting

Our next meeting will be an excursion to Burgoyne Heights. We will assemble at the gates to the former Connaught Barracks at 7.00 p.m. on Thursday, 15th June, where Chris Valdus will meet us. To get there from Deal take the second exit on the Duke of York’s Roundabout onto the road which leads down to Dover Castle. At the coach park turn right into Dover Road. A short distance down the road you will see on the right a pair of iron framed, wire mesh gates which close off Fort Burgoyne Road. Wait at those gates for Chris.


 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh